In Memory of 2 Beloved Staff Members
Peggy joined the NADS board of directors in 1979 – her son, Tim, was born with Down syndrome in 1978. Peggy was in our first training program for Parent Support Volunteers and she served on the board of directors until 1984 when she joined the NADS staff as our Office Coordinator. Peggy was also our Family Support Coordinator and in that role she was a source of strength and support to hundreds of NADS families. Peggy was loved by many and she worked faithfully for NADS until her death in September 2004.
Linda’s daughter, Angie, was born in 1980 and she took our Public Speaker Training Course in 1986. She joined the NADS staff in 1989 as Program Coordinator. In that capacity she expanded our Hospital Education Program and she provided hundreds and hundreds of hospital in-service programs throughout the Chicago metropolitan area. Linda also worked with college, high school and elementary school students – providing them with valuable information and insights. Linda also provided wonderfully sensitive support to many parents throughout the years.
Linda worked with much dedication for NADS until the summer of 2010 and we were devastated when she died in December 2010.
- Sheila Hebein served 5 years as a board member and 30 years as Executive Director.
- Peggy Nemec served 5 years as a board member and 20 years as Office Coordinator.
- Linda Picchi was a public speaker for 3 years and then worked 20 years as Program Coordinator.
- The total time of commitment to NADS and to the Down syndrome community of these 3 women was 83 years. We may never see that again.
- In 2009 Diane Urhausen became Executive Director of NADS and continues in that position.